Unlike many landscape design firms, web AppleSeed Permaculture LLC continues full-time permaculture design, pharm research, and development work straight through the winter. This year, we are offering an exclusive internship opportunity focused on permaculture business management and research.
AppleSeed Permaculture LLC is a cutting-edge permaculture & sustainable farm design firm dedicated to regenerating ecosystems and multi-capital economies around the planet.
This internship uses hands-on action learning and direct mentoring from firm principals Ethan Roland and Dyami Nason-Regan to train you in the nitty-gritty realities of a permaculture business. This is not the “sexy” part of permaculture – You will not participate in hands-on planting projects, tour permaculture sites, or travel the world. You will learn basic entrepreneurial skills like project management, client communications, web development, bookkeeping, and accounting.
The internship runs for 1-2 days per week, depending on experience. 1 day per week takes place in AppleSeed’s Accord, NY office. Internship runs until April, 2014.
Position begins when filled – apply immediately if interested.
- Project Management: Designing and developing systems for task tracking, accountability, and completion; managing business development projects.
- Permaculture Research: Plant species and varieties, sustainable farm business planning, multi-local market research, eco-social investing research.
- Finances: Quickbooks accounting; supporting tax preparation and filing for multiple enterprises.
- Technology & Social Media: AppleSeed website maintenance and updates, including blogs and social media integration. Building and managing Facebook pages and email lists for AppleSeed and allied enterprise educational events. (e.g. Terra Genesis International Permaculture Design Courses.) Troubleshooting routine technology problems and coordinating tech support as needed.
- Other business management opportunities, to be determined depending on competency and experience of Intern.
- Clear, direct, peaceful communication.
- Internal resilience and self-sufficiency. Ability to cheerfully improvise and adapt in changing circumstances.
- Systems thinker, highly organized, able to clarify and simplify complexity.
- Ability to attend to diverse details while staying connected to the big picture.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills.
- Warm, welcoming, connected phone presence and email “voice”.
- Experience with Word, Excel, WordPress, Gmail, Google Docs, & Dropbox.
- Familiarity with Quickbooks accounting.
- Solid familiarity with Apple/Mac software and hardware.
- Ability to design, streamline, and maintain efficient systems of operation and record-keeping.
- Strong desire to contribute to regenerative eco-social enterprise development.
- Familiarity with any of the following tools and languages is a plus:
- Permaculture Design
- Spiral Dynamics
- Re-evaluation Counseling
- 8 Shields / Art of Mentoring
- 4-Hour Workweek
- Passionate about personal growth and organizational development.
- Willingness to go to new edges, learn new skills, and try new approaches.
- Sense of humor, curiosity, and creativity.
- Local to Accord, NY (mid-Hudson/Catskills region) is a plus.
Please reply to email@example.com with a resume, three references, and a concise letter describing:
- Your business management experience and qualifications related to the Internship,
- Your reasons for applying for this Internship.
Ethan Roland & Dyami Nason-Regan
Principals, AppleSeed Permaculture LLC